NIE APPLICATION (Número de Identificación de Extranjero).
Why it is important?
The Spanish NIE number is basically used as a unique tax identification code for people who do not have Spanish nationality. It is essential for practically any activity that requires identification. Many people are not aware of the real importance of the NIE number. For example, your first steps after moving to the Costa Blanca, such as opening a bank account and obtaining Internet/telephone contracts, will require an NIE. Maybe you want to buy an insurance policy? Do you need medical attention? Or simply register a car in your name?
The NIE number (Foreigner Identification Number) is granted to each foreigner residing in Spain. It is absolutely necessary, used for everything.
All foreigners who, due to their economic, professional or social interests, are related to Spain, require, for identification purposes, a personal, unique and exclusive number of a sequential nature. This personal number must appear on all the documents that are issued or processed and for all economic, professional or social interests the application is accepted in two ways:
- Presented in Spain personally by the owner at the nearest national police station on the Costa Blanca
- Presented in the consular office or diplomatic representation of Spain in the country of residence of the holder
Take in mind that you have to apply for an appointment through the internet, for that use this link. Fill in this digital form and you will be assigned the specific office you will have to attend for the application.
When applying for a NIE please take in mind you will need the following documents:
- Form EX-15 filled out (for English version as a guideline, click here, use the Spanish version for applying )
- Original and copy of passport or identity document
- One image
- An address in Spain is necessary, so bring a copy of this documentation. (You can use a friend’s address if you are still looking for a place)
- When requested through a representative, he must show proof of a power of attorney sufficient to be able to present the request.
- Model Form 790-026 . With this form filled out, the rate of approx. € 10 must be paid in the indicated bank before delivering all your documentation. If you want to download the form in the above link, keep in mind that you will receive the form with a unique reference number.
For more help about NIE application and how to get it, maybe one of these can help you.
We advise you to keep the original document in a safe place and make photocopies for normal use.
If you, later on, want to change residence, for example to another town, your NIE will remain the same. You must, however, renew your Empadronamiento in the new town.