Background Image

SOCIAL SECURITYsocial security costa blanca

Social Security contributions are obligatory for all (foreign) workers in Spain, whether they are employed or self-employed.
The Social Security system in Spain is designed to provide the working population with a variety of medical and financial coverage that covers a variety of accidents and contingencies.

By contributing to this, you will be entitled to the same level of protection as all nationals. It is paid mainly for by workers’ contributions (currently around 6.4% of the monthly salary), but the state also contributes around 20%. Coverage under Spanish Social Security legislation generally means that you are exempt from making contributions to your country of origin; However, agreements between Spain and other EU/EEA countries allow nationals of these countries and residents of Spain to continue to be part of their national Social Security system for a limited period.


The European community
EU/EEA nationals who are transferred to Spain by the company where they work can continue to make contributions to the Social Security in their country of origin during one year. After two years in Spain, you must legally start making contributions to Social Security. In general, your company in Spain will complete the necessary process to register it in the Spanish Social Security. If not, you must do it yourself. Go to your local Social Security office and submit the following:
  • Proof that you are employed in Spain.
  • Passport, plus marriage certificate and birth certificates of any family member in charge, if applicable
  • Proof of residence (title deed to the property or rental contract).

You may also be asked to provide copies of some or all of the above translated in Spanish; Check if this is the case with the Social Security office in your area.

After one or two months, you will receive a registration card (social security/SIP card) by mail. Keep in mind that a card will provide coverage for both spouses in a marriage even if only one of them is working and for all dependent children (under 16) who are registered on the card.

If you are a pensioner, you will qualify for social security benefits if you receive a state pension from another EU/EEA country, or a country that has an agreement with Spain. You and your spouse will be entitled to the benefits, but you must prove your right to a pension by obtaining form E-121 from your country of origin.


If you retire to Spain before reaching the Spanish retirement age, you must obtain private medical insurance coverage.



Whatever you need .. Find It !!


Disclaimer: The information on this page only serves as general information and we are not responsible for incorrect information, changes in regulations, etc.

Back to Municipal Information